Thursday 17 September 2015

Tom Yum Gong in Coconut Shell

Who love tom yum like me? Anyone? When I visited Cherating with my family few months ago and it happen that we order a tom yum soup as a supper, I was surprised when they served. It came with a coconut shell! I was very impressed with the presentation and of course the taste was awesome. I intend to make my own when I get back to KL.


This version of tom yum gong is using coconut juice as well. I do not know what is the purpose of using the juice but I just followed the recipe that I obtained from Youtube. I cannot taste the coconut juice but I can smell the fragrance of the coconut itself.


This coconut cost me RM5! I wonder if we eat outside how much will it cost me? I feel cooked at home is more expensive than eat outside but....... although it's expensive but we are eating healthy and we know what we put inside. So no worry about unknown ingredients.

Tom Yum Gong in Coconut Shell
Recipe adapted from : Youtube
(portion for 2 person)















What we need:-
-1 young coconut
(1/2 cup coconut juice, 1/3 cup coconut meat)
-1 cup chicken stock (I used homemade chicken powder dilute with water)
-1 cup prawns
-1 cup mushroom (sliced)
-1 lemon grass sliced
-10 pieces of galangal
-5 kaffir lime leave, shredded
-cilantro leave for garnishing

 Seasoning:-

-2 tablespoon fish sauce
-2 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
-2 Thai hot chilies crushed (normal chilies padi will do)
-1 1/2 tablespoons chilies paste (tom yum paste, any brand)
-1/4 cup plain milk

Method:-
1) Wash the seafood and set aside
2) In a pot, boil the the homemade chicken powder with lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leave.
3) Add in the coconut juice and meat, together with prawns and mushroom
4) It's time to add in the seasoning. Boil till the seafood is cooked
5) scoop it into the coconut shell and garnished with cilantro leave
6) serve with a plate of steamed hot rice.


 I found this tom yum paste so so only. Will get a better one next time. See, I added in some imitation crab meat, abalone mushroom and squid.  You can add more chilies padi if you prefer more spicy. Yes, I do. My boy told me is not spicy enough and asked me to put more!


I love the presentation too. Hahahaha~ I purposely bought these 3 large prawns for the decoration...and the rest are all small prawns (✿◠‿◠) 


Hubby came back late and only left this. He gave me a thumbs up!  I am very happy that I can served my family a very good meal each time they came back. All the tiredness is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment