Thursday 24 September 2015

Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶)


BKT is my favorite! My family love it too. But sometimes it will cost more than outside if we cooked at home. The ingredients we bought usually are fresh and high quality. Home cooked BKT usually is more healthier than outside. Even my mum's maid told me if I cook BKT she wants to eat, because it's very delicious ^.^


You can cook normal BKT or you can add in seafood of your choice. But I will only cook those traditional BKT to suited my taste. I do not like to add in seafood because the taste of the soup will run. I like to put more garlic and better to use those garlic with black skin, it will give you more fragrance. See below:-


 Before and after


Choose your nice flavorful packet herbs of BKT, you can get it in the shopping mall or Chinese medical shop. This packet of herbs is from my girlfriend but I personally do not like this taste. Come, let me tell you the secret ingredients to make the soup more flavorful. Add in oyster sauce! This secret ingredients do not mentioned in the packet behind but had been told by my colleague (background selling BKT) to add in some oyster sauce!... I do try it and it is very delicious compared to the previous.

Let's see the ingredients~

Bak Kut Teh (肉骨茶) 
Recipe source from : Fiona Low














What you need :-
-A pack of BKT herbs (2 packets)
-6 whole garlic (black skin)
-Pork ribs
-Chicken feet (clean, wash n drain)
-Chinese mushroom (soaked)
-Yao mak (any vegetable you prefer)
-Golden mushroom (kam cham ku)
-Bean curd sheet
-tou poh
-fish ball (optional)
-yau char kueh (optional)

Seasoning:-
-light soy sauce
-dark soy sauce
-pepper
-oyster sauce

Side condiments:-
-Cili padi
-fried onion
-chopped garlic (optional)



Method:-
1) Fill up a pot with hot water and let it boil. Boil the pork ribs and chicken feet for 5 mins and rinse it with running water. Set aside
2) In another big pot, fill with hot water and let it boil. Put the BKT packets in together with Chinese mushroom and the 6 whole garlic. Don't forget the tau poh too..
3) add in the seasoning in and let it boil for 20 mins
4) After 20 mins add in the pork ribs and chicken feet and simmer for at least 1 hr
5) Taste it at your own preference
6) Before serve, add in the vegetable, bean curd sheet, fish ball and golden mushroom into the pot and boiled till the bean curd sheet soft and dish.
7) served with steamed hot rice and topped with some fried onion.


My chicken feet is perfectly cooked!


Without this cili padi, there is no point in eating BKT!

No comments:

Post a Comment