Tuesday 4 August 2015

Chi Bao Kai (Paper wrapped chicken)


We heard about paper wrapped chicken when we were young and we love to eat too but I just wonder what is the purpose of wrapping the chicken in the paper? Is that baking/greased paper giving a good taste like what pandan chicken do? 


 I find that when I do so the original juices and oil from the chicken will be retained for more taste and captured together to be served later. So I can guarantee you that the chicken will be moist and juicy and not dry like fried chicken. It is tender and full of flavour.


Instead of deep fried I baked it. My dad bought me a cooking book 'Yum Yum' so I saw the recipe in the book so let me share with you.

Paper Wrapped chicken (Chi Bao Kai)
Adapted from Yum Yum cook book













What you need :-
-500g chicken meat, cut into big cubes (I just use boneless chicken whole leg and chicken wings)

Marinates :-
-2 tbsp light soy sauce
-2 tbsp oyster sauce
-1 tsp dark soy sauce
-1 tbsp garlic juice
-1 tbsp small onion juice
-1 tbsp ginger juice
-1 tbsp shaoxin wine
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 tsp sugar
-1/2 tsp salt

-20 pieces greased proof paper (18cm x 18cm)
some oil for brushing paper

Note : The above marination I only estimate myself and the greased proof paper I also simply cut it as long it can wrapped my chicken.

Method :-
1) Marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours but best is overnight in the fridge
2) Take a piece of greased proof paper, brush a little oil on the center part (i omitted this step) place a piece of chicken meat on top and wrap up like a parcel 
3) Arrange the chicken parcels on a rack, put into a pre-heated oven and bake at 210c for 15-20 mins till cooked. (i baked at 180c for 20mins)



Marination


I'm using my convection oven.

I used to order outside whenever they have and it is quite costly. One piece would cost me around RM3-4/pc. See, if you are hardworking enough you can make it yourself and it only cost us how much? You can eat till u song song ar..

No comments:

Post a Comment